• Opening_Spread_image

    About The Inn

about-header

STEEPED IN HISTORY NEAR DOWNTOWN DETROIT

The Story of The Inn On Ferry Street

Originally part of the Ferry Seed Company, East Ferry Avenue was developed in the late 1800s into an upper-class neighborhood. The lots were originally sold subject to building restrictions and the district developed with a variety of architectural styles popular in the late 1800s.

In the mid-1910s to the 1920s the population became predominately Jewish. Three synagogues and a Jewish school were built in the neighborhood during this period. By the mid-1930s the area again experienced a population shift towards notable black residents who established health institutions, businesses and educational facilities for use by the black population.

The six historic buildings that are a part of The Inn On Ferry Street were all purchased by the Merrill-Palmer Institute, an educational institution nationally known for its pioneering work in the fields of child development and family life. Eventually the homes collectively came under ownership by the Detroit Institute of Arts in the 1970s and remained so until the renovation of the buildings began in February 2000 for The Inn On Ferry Street.

  • Explore Our Property

    • Pungs House

      Built in 1891, the Pungs House was originally the home of William Pungs, Vice President of the Michigan Railroad Supply Company and founder of the Anderson Carriage Company. This historic structure has been lovingly restored with a hint of Victorian charm. Each of the nine guest rooms is uniquely decorated. The accommodations range from a fanciful yellow and blue room with white painted furniture, to a soothing suite with sage colored walls, cherry sleigh bed, non-working fireplace and a quiet work space. Guests will lose themselves in the large Victorian sofa found in the home’s original parlor, which boasts inlaid hardwood floors and two fireplaces.

      • pungs house
      • pungs2
      • pungs3
      • pungs4
      • pungs5
      1
      2
      3
      4
      5
      / 5
    • Roehm House

      The Roehm House, constructed in 1888, was the home of Herman Roehm, President of the Detroit Carriage Company. Both the old and the new have inspired the colors, furnishings and details of this home. Behind each door of the eleven guestrooms is a surprise, from the oversized bath with the original cast iron tub to the historic casement windows overlooking our garden and terrace. The popular second floor suite offers the ultimate in luxury with rich terra cotta colored walls, a private balcony, soaking tub, and Asian influenced decor. Guests can curl up on the tufted leather sofa with a book from the Roehm’s House library or pick a compact disc from the large collection of music to enjoy in their room.

      • Reohm House
      • roehm-interior-3
      • roehm-interior-3
      • KARP3437
      1
      2
      3
      4
      / 4
    • Scott House

      The Scott House is the first stop for guests registering at The Inn. John Scott, one of Detroit’s prominent architects best known for his design of the historic Wayne County Building, built the home in 1886 as his residence. The attention to detail and richness of materials in our main house are reminiscent of an earlier, less chaotic time. The parlor beckons guests to sit by the fire and enjoy a cup of coffee at any time of the day. The high wainscoting and beautifully carved fireplace emphasize the adjacent breakfast room. The three guestrooms upstairs have been decorated with furniture, fabrics and colors influenced by the Arts and Crafts style. The beautiful woods and rich, soft colors make this home a favorite.

      • scott house
      • scott-exterior-2
      • scott-exterior-3
      • scott-interior-1
      1
      2
      3
      4
      / 4
    • Owen House

      Built in 1887, for George A. Owen owner of a dry goods firm, the Owen House is evocative of a glamorous era. The wide, impressive staircase with elaborately turned balusters and newel posts will dazzle the most reserved guest. Ideal for small events, the inviting parlor features a baby grand piano and two fireplaces. This house has nine luxurious guestrooms, two of which are large executive suites with a sleeper sofa for extra guests. Guestrooms are decorated with either bold, jewel tone colors and Victorian style furnishings or soft blue and peach colors with delicately patterned silk and chenille fabrics.

      • Owens House
      • owen1
      • owen2
      • owen3
      • owen4
      1
      2
      3
      4
      5
      / 5
    • Smith Carriage House

      The carriage house behind the Pungs House was constructed in 1892. In 2001 the Raymond C. Smith Fund generously contributed to the restoration of the building and terrace. The first floor can be used for business meetings, corporate retreats, or small group functions. Upstairs features a two bedroom suite with sitting room and bath. The whimsical feel of this hidden-away suite offers the ultimate in privacy.

      • Raymond Smith Carriage House
      1
      / 1
    • John R Carriage House

       Originally built in 1892 as a carriage house for the occupant of the home at 110 E. Ferry, the building was converted to a single-family home in 1926. Today, the carriage house has seven of the Inn’s guestrooms. All rooms have a casual feel reflected in the Arts and Crafts style furniture and warm colors. Gather with a group of guests in the cozy parlor for a game of chess or the challenge of completing a puzzle.

      • JOhn R. Carriage House
      • johnr1
      • johnr2
      • johnr3
      1
      2
      3
      4
      / 4

    WE ARE PROUD MEMBERS OF HISTORIC HOTELS OF AMERICA

    Our Place In History

    Historic Hotels of America is the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation for recognizing and celebrating the finest Historic Hotels. Historic Hotels of America was founded in 1989 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation with 35 charter members.

    Today, Historic Hotels of America has more than 300 historic hotels. These historic hotels have all faithfully maintained their authenticity, sense of place, and architectural integrity in the United States of America, including 44 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

    Historic Hotels of America is comprised of mostly independently owned and operated historic hotels. More than 30 of the world’s finest hospitality brands, chains, and collections are represented in Historic Hotels of America. To be nominated and selected for membership into this prestigious program, a hotel must be at least 50 years old; has been designated by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark or listed in or eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places; and recognized as having historic significance.

    LEARN MORE